Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Favorite Bench

I have finally picked my place where I could read, study, or just get away. Before coming to Vassar College, I would have described this place as simple a natural setting or a place where one could witness nature in motion. After being here for just one week my thoughts have changed about this place. I’ve learned that this place is not exactly nature; instead, it is simply an artist’s rendition of nature as she or he sees it. A week ago, I would have said that the only man-made object found in my place would be the bench. After only one week of studying at Vassar College, I’ve learned that everything is man-made. Just as a classical painter chooses a scene to paint, a landscape architect chooses a setting to build. A painter would use ink, dyes, oils, and latex while a landscape architect would use soil, shrubs, trees, and stone. A landscape architect, just as any commissioned artist, must translate the property owner’s ideas into something tangible. As one becomes more knowledgeable in landscape architecture, she or he also gains further insight into the ideas of the property owners. This was helpful as I was deciding which place to call my own.
My place is simply a bench placed, seemingly, in the middle of nowhere. Bench is not close to a path or a road. It is not found bordering a field or a stream. It appears to be simply misplaced. That is until you sit on the bench. To go to my place, one must walk away from the main building towards the ACDC building. After passing the geology building, you would find a paved path lined with old traditional red bricks. After walking about 15 feet on the path, stop and look over your right shoulder. Off in the distance you will find my simple park bench. In order to understand the placement of this bench, one must sit exactly in the middle of the bench and look forward. It is then that one discovers a perfect picture. I first noticed the perfect symmetry with the pine trees on the left and right. These trees frame the picture, directing your eyes to look forward. As you do that you notice another pine tree planted exactly in the center of the view. Only this tree is about 80 feet away from the bench and becomes my backdrop. In front of this enormous pine tree stand three dogwood trees in full bloom. Their beautiful blossoms complete this picture. As the sun sets and night falls, I am surprised to find a lamppost directly in front of me as it turns on. The next day I am amazed to realize that the lamppost is perfectly lined up, directly in front of the center pine tree, which is 70 feet away. The landscape architect was able to direct my eyes to the center and shift my focus away from something right in front of my face. Now my thoughts return to the bench.
The bench is a simple park bench similar to the ones found in Central Park. I wonder how many people have sat here, how long has it been here, and how many people notice the huge letters “VC” on the cement side legs. It took me three days to notice them. After reading “The Geography of Nowhere” by James Howard Kunstler, I imagine Kunstler would have a problem if Vassar College called this a public bench. Although there are no visible private property signs, could the landscape architect direct people away from this bench as easy as he directed my focus away from that lamppost? Does the landscape welcome the local public or provide psychological barriers?
These are the questions that are now swirling in my mind while I sit on this bench. I recall my first day, driving past the 3 foot high stone wall and through the iron gates of Vassar College. Then, from out of nowhere, I remember when the fast food chains explained how they were using psychological barriers on their tables. It was McDonalds who first installed a simple 3-inch high table divider. Although the tables were exactly the same, this device created a psychological barrier that allowed two couples to sit at the same table. With out this small divider, the table was considered to be for only one party. One could only question the intent of the stone wall and the iron gates. But the psychological effects of these features are obvious. When I sit here on my bench I do not notice local neighbors enjoying the trees and flowers. I also notice that the landscape hides buildings, walkways, and most of all, the surrounding neighbors.
I still love my place. I love my simple bench with these simple trees. Only now I can not simply sit. I am learning past the obvious. This bench was put here for a very specific reason. Perhaps that is why I am so drawn to this place.

No comments: