Thursday, February 21, 2008

Paris and Harvard

I love how false rumors spread so much faster than the truth. When I heard the rumor that Paris Hilton was receiving a “woman of the year” award from Harvard University I thought this has to be a joke. But then I saw an advert for access Hollywood showing Paris Hilton on the Harvard campus. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a chance to watch the show but I immediately announced my new found information and my disbelief. I probably told at least 10 people and said this has to be a joke. I couldn’t imagine Harvard students especially females allowing a high school drop-out to receive any award at their university. But for a week I continued to spread the rumor without checking the facts online; after all, I heard the information on Access Hollywood. They couldn’t make up a story like that.
Finally after days of thinking that our world is turning to shit if Paris Hilton can show her tits and get a “woman of the year” award at Harvard I turned to Google. Google search is like the buzz-kill guy at a party who sets everyone straight. I simply entered “Paris Hilton” and “Harvard” and there it was. Paris was in fact on the Harvard Campus. She did receive an award for “woman of the year”. But I was relieved to discover additional information that would explain this odd pairing of Harvard and Paris.
The AP writes that “The Lampoon award is a spoof of the annual honors given by Harvard’s Hasty Pudding Theatricals. The nation’s oldest undergraduate drama troupe planned to present its “Woman of the Year” award to Charlize Theron on Thursday. “Man of the Year” Christopher Walken will be honored Feb. 15.” So in reality Paris accepted a spoof award from the Harvard Lampoon Magazine which makes fun of everything. But what makes all of this so much more enjoyable is the fact that Paris actually went to Harvard to receive this award. One has to wonder if she even realized that this was all a joke. Did she actually think that anyone with a brain would give her a legitimate award for anything that she did on her own? But she could get awards for being the dumbest and most spoiled girl or being the perfect example of any parent’s worst nightmare. She could easily be the poster child for what a young girl should never become—stupid and spoiled. I now want to make a t-shirt with Paris’ picture under the heading “Ignorance is Bliss”.

No comments: