Thursday, October 25, 2007

HP Pavilion M8150n sucks

On August 24th 2007 I purchased HP Pavilion desktop computer model # M8150n. From that day until today I have had nothing but problems with this computer. The problems began as soon as I turned on the computer for the first time. After several failed attempts of simply starting the computer I called HP technical support. On that very first day of having the computer I was instructed by the HP tech support representative to perform a full recovery. I distinctly remember asking him if this is a standard procedure on a brand new computer. He assured me that this was normal and that “sometimes the software is not installed correctly” and that my computer is not defective. Although this representative was extremely helpful in getting my computer up and running his solution to fixing my computer problems only lasted until I restarted the computer the very next day. Once again I was unable to properly start my computer simply by depressing the power button. On only the second day of owning this computer I performed yet another full recovery with the assistance from HP technical support. This was just the beginning of what has turned into a computer nightmare.
During the two months of owning this computer I have logged more than 22 hours which is more than 1,320 cellular minutes on the phone with HP technical support. Each and every time I called for technical support I would spend between 30 minutes to an hour just recapping what was performed on the last phone calls. Below are just some of the problems I have had with this computer.
The entire computer would freeze for no apparent reason.
Opening windows media center would cause the computer to crash
The mouse and keypad receiver did not work and needed to be replaced.
The DVD-RW did not play standard DVDs without skipping
The HD-DVD drive did not work properly from the first day
The computer did not recognize the HD-DVD drive and therefore could not perform any diagnostics to repair it.

Looking back I realize now that I should have returned this computer the very next day. The only reason why I didn’t was that the HP technical support representatives continued to reassure me that the problems I was having were not because of a defective computer. Some of the representatives even gave me incorrect information stating that my computer could not be viewed on a flat panel TV and the HDMI cable was for the picture only and did not transfer sound.
Finally after an enormous amount of time wasted with HP technical support my file was given to a case manager who would only offer his first name (John). He informed me that the only two solutions he could offer me was either to send me a new HD-DVD drive (which I needed to install myself) or send the entire tower to HP repair. This case manager was completely unhelpful and was unwilling to find any alternative solution. I even offered to give my credit card number to have a new tower sent to me to replace my defected computer and once received by HP could issue a credit.
Today (10-24-07) I returned the computer to P. C. Richards where I purchased the computer. The manager informed me that P.C. Richards does not accept returns on computers and would only take the tower to be sent to HP for repair. I am also disputing the charge on my credit card.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I see you are talking about PC Richards here. The thing is that I have had a very bad experience with the company. Later on, I made some investigations on www.pissedconsumer.com and there I learned that the company has numerous unsatisfied customers. They do claim about the quality of the products of the goods as well as delivery and customer services.

MsMarlettaDisgusted said...

I agree this computer is troublesome, let me tell you about my nightmare if you can even follow it you might need popcorn for this story covers nearly 2 years.

I had purchased a computer it was about xmas time before Vista was released, I was given a link to download Vista because the computer was new but Vista had not been introduced, ok lets table that issue that was a nightmare in of itself. Within a few days I had trouble no sound, dvd didnt work and a host of issues so I wanted to return the stupid thing technical support was a total waste of time I too was told to do a recovery how do you do it when computers no longer come with the discs. Well technical support has to send it to you (uh) a few weeks into support I was disgusted it was dead. This was nearly full day calling hours of typing and trying to get humans. I made hundreds of calls and documented them all to HP which later was sent to their CEO. Finally I was told to send my computer in and they would fix.

OK I sent it at their cost great OK getting somewhere. I received it within 1 week, and it failed within one day.

I was livid then rounds and rounds of callst they were going to send me a new one I was amazed they sent me the new one with a return package for the old one.

I thought wow what great service. the computer they sent me supposedly built for me with everything I needed. What was delivered took three weeks not the overnight as the first time ended up being an empty tower no hard drive no drive bays. I lost it called and yelled my head off. Now
I have two computers neither that are operational one is empty. They asked me to return both the computers and sent me an email with an authorization to go purchase one in the store and return the receipts to them they would reimburse me cost. So now the voice of reason I called and verified on a recorded line they were going to reimburse me OK so I went out purchased a computer that was to be sent to me within 2 days. I shipped off this huge over sized box they had sent me the computer in that fit everything in it. I also by fedex sent the receipt for the new computer.
Now the fun begins some idiot makes a decision not to reimburse me because the weight was off on the shipment so I was not entitled to reimbursement. WHAT!!!! the stupidity of the person was matching spec against the weight. The Tower that came empty could not have matched the proper weight. I cant tell you how much and to what length I had to fight because now they had $2200 for my first computer which I sent to them and the receipt for my second one which was 1900. I decided screw it send me back my original PC. YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS. I was told when a PC is returned it is dismantled and parts are reused. *%$#$** This writer went through some insane lengths to finally be reimbursed but by the time I received my reimbursement I should have received a check fir my time and effort assuming minimum wage I was due $4,500 considering I timed my calls and used their own chat times and time and dates to make it happen but I was relentless.

I will not likely do this again and will not purchase again from HP. The new computer the m8150n within 3 months had a full unknown motherboard crash which caused me to lose a 14,000 contract. I had to pay 300 dollars to have the motherboard installed locally, because I refused to begin the shipping of my computer to them again. I had to install a new graphics card and power supply , and this morning I cannot use my media disks they just stopped working altogether. So I am done and sick and tired of HP. It is sad because I am and had been a long time HP customer I have purchased 8 computers from them before this fiasco if you count all the new ones then we can say 11 and with all this poor service and great frustration they have lost a customer permanently.