Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My Room

I wrote this when I was 18. Because my parents did not intend on me living with them in their new home I was given an unfinished storage room in the basement. My roommates were a loud furnace and an even louder sump-pump. I actually learned to like the spiders because they always caught the flies and mosquitoes. But the best part was that my room was the furthest distance from my parents except when my mother did her laundry in the adjacent room. She would think nothing of yelling to wake-up my father while she was folding clothes. It never seemed to cross her mind that this would also wake me up who was just on the other side of an unfinished wall.




My Room

It’s a place full of light
Most of the time it’s very bright
There’s cement on two walls
And some paper that always falls
There’s even a pump on one side
A place where spiders like to hide
Then there are the windows two in all
But they are so very small
My clothes hang on a pipe
They don’t mind and never gripe
For all I see is nails and wood
Something only a match would find good
I had a mirror that stood high
But my mother wanted to see it fly
It broke when Aunt Grace came
And of course I was to blame
Now it stands all bent and broke
Even the room seems to soak
The radio is the best part
It’s my escape if only a start
So I’ll just stay in my room
And imagine a day without gloom

No comments: